Student visa (subclass 500)
You can study a registered full-time course in Australia.
Eligible family members can accompany you to Australia.
A Student visa is required if you have applied for and been accepted to study full-time for over three months at an educational institution in Australia. With this visa:
- You can stay in Australia for the duration of your course
- You are permitted multiple entries to Australia
- You can work up to 40 hours per fortnight while your course is in session and unlimited hours during scheduled course breaks
- Eligible dependant family members can accompany you (conditions apply)
- Your family members can work up to 40 hours per fortnight
- Your spouse can study in Australia for up to 3 months
Your Student visa application will be assessed according to your Assessment Level and the relevant evidentiary requirements, which is determined by your nationality and main course of study.
Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)
The Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) lets you live, study and work in Australia temporarily after you have finished your studies. Students are only able to access the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) once as a primary applicant.
This visa has two streams:
- Graduate Work stream – for international students with an eligible qualification who graduate with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). A visa in this stream is granted for 18 months from the date of grant.
- Post-Study Work stream – for international students who graduate with a higher education degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of their field of study. This stream is only available to students who applied for, and were granted, their first student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011. A visa in this stream can be granted for up to four years from the date the visa is granted, depending on the visa applicant’s qualification.
If you are applying as the main applicant, you and anybody else covered by the application must be in Australia when you apply for this visa and when your visa is decided.
This visa allows you and your family to stay in Australia temporarily after you have finished your studies. While in Australia, you can: